Wednesday 17 July 2024

Book review - Under Her Roof by A.A Chaudhuri

 Astonishing! 

                   – I am only just picking my jaw up from the floor a few weeks later!


Knowing how much I enjoyed The Final Party (also by Chaudhuri) I paid for my Kindle copy of Under Her Roof with excited anticipation before its release. Then, as you may have seen, I was lucky enough to be invited to the book launch in London. There, I purchased the paperback.

So, when I started reading, I had a choice…Kindle or book?

Initially, I started with the book, but I was so hooked so quickly that I didn’t want to spoil the copy that Alex had signed (complete with a thoughtful message) so I swapped to my Kindle.

Normally a well-thumbed book is a good sign, but having had such a great evening at the launch, meeting the delightful Alex and her cheerful agent (Annette) this paperback is one to keep safe. Now that I have finished the novel, knowing how special this book is, I have the want to keep it even safer because the pages contain one of the most mind-blowing stories you will ever read (I just got goose bumps typing that…I think I am STILL in disbelief).

I read this story at every opportunity that I had. Despite a busy week, I finished within a week of starting and rate if five stars. Here is why…

 

My review does not contain spoilers:

The premise of the story is that a rich lady who lives in Hampstead (an area that Chaudhuri knows well) takes in a lodger and each withhold secrets from each other.

It’s the secrets and the way that they weave through this tale that makes it initially so compelling. There are so many mini cliffhangers and pieces of information that are expertly held back from the reader that you have to read on to find more likely alongside trying to work out your own theories – don’t expect to be right though! I only worked out one thing and that was much, much further into the book before a reveal was made. I take that as a win for Chaudhuri how she hid things so well, and a failure for my detective skills.

I didn’t mind my detective skills failing though because it made the reveals that are presented such shocks! I also came up with a red herring that no one (at the time I mentioned it to Chaudhuri) else had mentioned – I can’t say what, I said no spoilers. I really thought I was onto something…nope!

Other elements that make this compelling include the claustrophobic nature in how this is presented. Like a spider, with a fly stuck in its web, Chaudhuri weaves her imagination carefully across the story and pulls you in so that you end up feeling empathy for the characters for the claustrophobic web of their lives/the setting – both past and present. I am not always a fan of TV shows or books where only a minimal number of locations are used, but here it works so well. This is likely due to the dual character chapters alongside the mystery voice sections (more on that in a moment) and the THEN/NOW timeframe. Furthermore, there are lighter moments within the novel that provide the juxtaposition needed to allow you to breathe - but only occasionally!

So…the mystery voice, well I am ALL for this! I love a story where you don’t know who is addressing you and Chaudhuri has written it so well addressing one of the main characters directly but in a way that it makes you feel like YOU are being spoken to. I always think such inclusions are more effective when italics are used and that is what Chaudhuri has done. For me, it’s like the italic presentation provides a chill down the spine…

I also want to take time to praise the style in which this is written. It’s beautifully descriptive where it needs to be (I could picture it all so clearly in my head) and there are some unique word choices that fit so well…again, no spoilers. I also think the balance of dialogue, inner thoughts and action are well matched. As a writer (and a teacher) I elected to pause, re-read and marvel over some of the vocabulary and clauses used. This really is quite special, yet it feels like it came naturally from Chaudhuri as nothing feels false or contrived. It literally feels real is what I am trying to say!

Characterisation throughout is strong and distinctive so that you remember who they are (there’s nothing worse than a novel where you get muddled with characters (IMO) and this does not happen here) throughout and I even feel like the names Chaudhuri has chosen suit the characters too!

I also really like the inclusion of emails and text messages and it helps the reader to be immersed in the action – plus it feels appropriate as it is a current piece, and it would feel odd not to have them.

Overall, I was fully invested and believed in the backstories that are presented. I cannot go into too much detail here but needless to say that they are mind-blowing when you get to the crux of everything. A few weeks on, I am only just picking up my jaw from the floor!

This book has been called a psychological thriller…will it mess with your mind? Yes! But it does it in all the right ways whilst containing other elements that make it not just psychological but more like a variety tin of sweets with many wonderful flavours to enjoy and thoughts that will stay with you after reading as, underneath the shiny wrappers, there are some very thought-provoking elements. The research that Chaudhuri has put in (for several elements of the story) and the sensitivity towards a couple of things in particular is to be commended.

This story is one of a kind. 

It’s so clever. 

It’s so deceiving and so expertly plotted that you will be scratching your head for weeks after wondering why/how you missed things. 

Plus – I BET this becomes one of the few books you elect to read for a second time because, I for one, know it’s gone on my ‘must read again’ pile!

So, if you haven’t read it for the first time yet…what are you waiting for?

 

As a total aside – I just want to say how lovely Alex is. From my first interactions with her when I reviewed The Final Party, to attending the book launch, I honestly have been so impressed with how sweet and humble she is. This was VERY evident in the support shown for her at the launch.

I know that, due to the smaller nature of her publishers, every purchase of this book, every review and promotion of this novel means a lot to Alex. I truly hope that further success comes her way as she really deserves it – and I wouldn’t say this if I didn’t mean it.

You get back what you give out it this life and Alex really is something special – both as a person and a writer…


You can get yourself a copy of the book or Kindle version at Amazon and in stores:

 Under Her Roof: A gripping, twisty thriller that you won't be able to put down eBook : Chaudhuri, A. A.: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment