Monday 15 July 2024

Book review - The Hotel Maid by Michelle Dunne

 Dark, disturbing and different...


Thank you to NetGalley and Storm Publishing for my eARC of this book - my review does not contain spoilers.

This story was MUCH darker than I expected and the different perspectives that it is told from were effective and very well written, adding to the dark conclusion that the tale builds to. The child perspective, in particular, is told so well and with such accuracy. I also thought that Dunne's use of imagery and inference were perfect - not telling you but showing you, allowing you to discover as you read and making sense of things for yourself.

What I DID expect in this book was for a maid to discover things about people in a hotel (based on the front cover) and what I DIDN'T expect what the layers that the intertwined stories would take on! Wow! I was impressed. There were twists and turns a plenty. I have rated this four stars as I did get confused a couple of times and I also thought that this book should come with trigger warnings for some of its content...if they were there, I missed them.

However, overall I recommend it. I enjoyed it and got WAY more than I thought I was getting in reading it. I read this novel quickly because I was invested in knowing what would happen/what had happened (to make things tie together). Plus, this is one of those books that makes you think and will stay with you. 

#TheHotelMaid #NetGalley



No comments:

Post a Comment