Thursday 10 August 2023

Book review - Secrets at No.6 By Jemma Hatt and author interview

 A very enjoyable mystery for all ages...



Having previously read and enjoyed the first two of 'The Adventurers' books both alone and with my class, I had high expectations for the first book in the Mysterious Mansions Series - Secrets at No.6 - and Jemma Hatt has not disappointed…

The book starts with a useful character overview showing the Upstairs and Downstairs characters and this helped to set the scene. Overall, there is a good balance of description, dialogue and storytelling, and this balance will help to keep younger readers/audiences engaged. 

Alice and Theo make for a great combination of main characters and – as an animal lover – the inclusion of Nero (the dog) works really well. There are many characters in the story, but it works well as they are varied and each bring something to the plot.

From a reading perspective it is well-paced, mysterious and the humorous moments are a good contrast to the working world of the tasks of the 'Downstairs' characters (indicating class differences) and the puzzling elements of the many mysteries that unravel as the tale goes on. It certainly kept me guessing!

Factually, it is educational for children in references to a historical movement, the aforementioned class systems, or London road names and places that (as adults) we are aware of/have experienced will inform curious children gently. Whilst, the feeling of the book is not dissimilar to an Enid Blyton mystery, the writing style is modern and accessible for children of various ages. I know, as a child, I would have really enjoyed this, and I am glad that I now get to enjoy sharing this with my new class in September. 

The next ‘Mysterious Mansions’ mystery, with the return of Alice and Theo, is released on August 15th and is suitably titled Secrets at No 7. I am looking forward to reading that too.

You can buy the book at: Secrets at No.6: 1 (Mysterious Mansions Series): Amazon.co.uk: Hatt, Jemma: 9781916528000: Books  

Secrets at No.7 available at:  

Secrets at No.7: 2 (Mysterious Mansions Series) : Hatt, Jemma: Amazon.co.uk: Books

The Adventurers available at: Amazon.co.uk: 


I asked Jemma some 'short' answer questions and then some 'longer' answer questions. 


  
Here are her answers:


Short answers -

Favourite book: I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith)

Why? Quirky with a relatable main character

Favourite author: Jane Austen

Why? I enjoy the funny observations about people and life

Favourite place to read: The beach

Why? It’s a great way to relax in the sun

Favourite time of the day to read: Any time

Why? …because there’s rarely a bad time… unless you’re driving a car or flying an aeroplane. Those would be terrible choices.


Longer answers –

What inspired you to start writing children’s books? 

Because I think that the books you enjoy as a child stay with you for the rest of your life, and the characters feel like old friends. That’s how I feel about the books I enjoyed while growing up.

How do you get the ideas for your books?

I write the adventures I would’ve liked to have had as a child (and would still like to have today)! My first book, The Adventurers and the Cursed Castle, was inspired by childhood holidays with my family in Cornwall as well as my lifelong fascination with ancient Egypt.

Will you ever write a book for young adults/adults?

I have a half-finished manuscript for young adults that has been on the backburner for a few years … so, possibly one day. It’s very different to the rest of my books.

How long do you spend writing in a day/week when you are working on a new book?

Around a couple of hours a day, five days a week. I can’t write solidly for eight hours though, or my writing stops making any sense! I spend quite a bit of time on research and other more boring administrative things.

Do you ever base characters on real life events/people you know?

Sometimes I might borrow little characteristics or quirks I see in real life, but I don’t base characters on real people.

There are lots of real places featured in the books though, and the Mysterious Mansions Series features real historical events.

What ‘top tips’ would you give to aspiring writers? (Children or adults!)

1. Read and write as much as you can.

2. Writing a diary counts as writing practice.

3. Take a break if you get stuck. I find walking helps.

4. Enjoy what you’re writing. If you’re having fun, your reader will too. And the reverse is true is you’re writing while bored!

5. Go for it!


Where to find Jemma…

www.jemmahatt.com

www.facebook.com/jemmahattauthor

www.instagram.com/jemmahatt

www.twitter.com/jemmahatt

https://www.youtube.com/@jemmahatt/


                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment