Thursday 31 August 2023

Book review - The Villa by Ruth Kelly

 


I could write the shortest review ever for this.

Just a single word:

Brilliant.

But that wouldn’t tell you why it’s brilliant! So, here goes, and I hope I do it justice…

Never having watched Love Island (but a fan of other reality gameshows and warm sunny countries in general) when this appeared in my recommended reading list, I took a look. If you’ve read my previous reviews, you’ll realise that the cover and promise of murder was enough to draw me in.

My initial instincts weren’t wrong as, when I started reading this, I was hooked. To say I BINGED this book is probably the best way to describe my reading process! Thankfully, having a couple of quiet days helped as I read, and read, and read because:

1. I wanted to.

2. I needed to know what would happen next.

3. I just couldn’t stop myself!

Considering, as I said before, I am not an Love Island fan – nor have I watched The Cabin or anything similar, this had me addicted...and wondering if I should try those shows!

As the front cover says:

Ten contestants. Seven days. One prize to die for.

Here’s my take on those words:

Ten very interesting contestants  I suspected everyone of something at some point…

Seven days that were not in the paradise promised – more like hell…

One prize where the money aspect (as it often does) makes things get ugly…and that’s what I was there for as I love tension and (of course) murder in a story!

I have to say that one of my favourite parts of doing these reviews is the conversations that I've had with the author as a consequence. I won’t go into detail (it will create a spoiler) but there was 'something' that I mentioned to the Ruth in my reflection to her, and her response was that the 'thing' that I'd mentioned had worked as she’d hoped.

I find it really interesting to see what inspires an author too; the background that Ruth has – having worked on Big Brother previously really is evident because no amount of research beats first hand experience. And, wow, her experience shines through! This helps to make the setting of the show – as in the broadcast and aspects of it being a reality TV show – so realistic.

Further to this, the characters are just the sort of people (no offence to anyone out there that I might be about to offend) that apply and get accepted onto this sort of show... AKA, people that want the money and will do (pretty much) anything to do well. Of course, there are layers to the characters in this book, and that’s part of the appeal – who are these people really/what is their story? Are they there for love, money…or something else?

In terms of what you get presented with, it’s another novel with a multiple perspective style – these always get a big tick from me. In this, the perspectives are: The Producer, The Contestant, The Viewers. I thought these titles made it really unique. The different perspectives are set in different times – with the main two perspectives working from either end of the mystery to meet in the middle and tell the tale until you’re done…or so I thought. There’s a bonus extension for after the ‘show’ has ended, and I thought this was pure genius and totally unexpected. Hopefully mentioning the extension isn't a spoiler for you, but I had to mention it as I already thought it was a brilliant novel up to that point, and it then got even MORE brilliant!

What else do you get? Well, mystery…red herrings…description of the settings used for the ‘villa’ that help the story to come alive in your mind…realistic portrayals of human emotions/relationships and so much more.

Personally, I’ve always struggled with books where the protagonist is unlikeable. And, in this, I liked Laura and felt sorry for her (generally throughout) and I think this also helped my interest in the story as I wanted to know ‘what next?’ for her and was invested in her tale.

Having read a LOT of books in this genre, there were a few things I had suspicions about, or guessed correctly. Then, to my delight, there were things I was entirely wrong about, and I love it when a book fools me. And, wow – fool me this did!

What to know what I mean? Or think you could work it all out (I bet you don’t)… Well, you’ll just have to read it for yourself! 

It’s available on Amazon: Amazon.co.uk : the villa ruth kelly

Now I am looking forward to the next offering from Ruth Kelly, The Escape due for release on Thursday 23rd Novemeber! The Escape: An Addictive and Heart-Racing Thriller Set in a Luxurious French Country House: Amazon.co.uk: Kelly, Ruth: 9781035025367: Books

No comments:

Post a Comment