Tuesday 22 August 2023

What a week!

 An example of why I am never short of a Tuesday blog post!

Well…I am not quite sure of the appropriate adjective to sum up last week. I’ll try a few: busy, interesting, crazy, tiring…or I could go with typical, as in ‘typical me’ as it was one of those weeks that just has to happen to me!

I won't go into detail for everything that happened...yet!

Two things I need to wait to see if I can as they are, technically, police matters. Don't worry, I didn't get into trouble myself - I just found it and reported it - think dog in woods blog post from July 11th, but worse...

Anyway, the first one that I can and will tell you about is Tuesday. It started with a power cut, not long after I had got up. This set off the house alarm and it couldn't be stopped as the panel wouldn't light up and was completely blank and not responding to my touch. 

I assumed meant the backup battery failed. Thankfully, the alarm was only ringing outside (not internally) so I didn't suffer as much as the neighbours did (whoops) and it went off when the power was restored shortly after.

I phoned the alarm man and said that I needed to pop out mid-morning and could be back by 2ish as I had an appointment. He said he could be with me once I was back.

Fast forward to me making my way to my appointment and I had decided to walk. I got a call when I was five minutes away from the location destination (a massage by the way to help with pain from a fall years back - I'll tell you about that another time) and it was one of the neighbours saying that my alarm had gone off twice in the space of five minutes. We hadn't had another power cut but the broadband was off - I was aware of this when I left and I hadn't heard the alarm on my initial part of my walk. 

I called my parents thinking that they could dash there but discovered my Dad had pulled a muscle in his leg that morning and was limping (and unable to drive) and Mum no longer drives and I knew I could get back faster than she would walk over, I said I would sort it.

As I was so so near the location, I decided to sprint to my therapist, explain that I needed to dash home and asked if she had any other slots later in the day as I really needed the massage/manipulation! She did, phew!

Whilst legging it back I called the alarm man and told him what had happened. He said he would get to me asap and to see if the outside lights on the box were flashing and if a zone had lit up on the panel inside (again, there is more to the alarm that has happened recently that I will also explain another time...) and I said I would.

I got home in next to no time and (due to the strong midday sun) was dripping. I put my hand up to block the sun but couldn't see any lights flashing on the outside box and - on going in - the alarm made it's usual sound - not the sound it makes when it goes off usually. And none of the zones were lit up. Puzzled, and hot, I went to get changed!

About half an hour later my alarm man arrived and it turned out that is wasn't the battery (which, to be fair he had said only a few weeks back was fine but I just know my luck and it made sense) and a fuse had blown internally - caused by the power cut and surge as it went off!

Alarm fixed, I later returned to my much needed massage wearing clean (and dry) clothes again as the others were still damp with sweat! I was chucking to myself thinking that if anyone had seen me on their Ring doorbells, they would wonder why I had gone for a walk in a different outfit!

If only I knew then what the rest of the week had in store for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment