Thursday 17 August 2023

Book review - The Final Party by A.A Chaudhuri

 A novel that provides the perfect juxtaposition...


Having finally reached the summer holidays, I was ready to read a book that I had been saving to enjoy during my downtime. I initially noticed The Final Party when I saw it advertised on Amazon in June.

The front cover had everything to draw me in… Yes, I know they say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but this one just appealed – I seem to like a blue based cover (sending my brain off on a tangent of ‘holiday location’ set novel) and on this there’s a swimming pool, a dead body, and the lines: Six Friends. One Body. Countless Lies. Besides, if you have read my ‘Locked room style’ book review posts from July, you’ll see some more blue covers and holiday locations! I guess I have a type!

I think the isolation of being away from home (like my favourite Agatha Christie And Then There Were None) and limiting the amount of characters/places the stories goes to makes the ‘locked’ feeling that I enjoy so much. Anyway, I digress and the point that I really want to make is that whilst I have read a good few in this style, I can HONESTLY say that this wins hands down, and here is why…

I loved The Final Party because Chaudhuri’s writing style is so immersive that I genuinely felt that I was there in Italy with the characters. The multiple perspectives work really well, and it was easy to remember and follow who was who, whereas I have read some stories where I have struggled. Chaudhuri’s excellent attention to detail ensures that you remember each character, and which couple they are part of. Every character is individual - their voice distinctive, along with their personality and backstory.

With the prologue setting the 'who is dead?' element, I began reading looking for clues to help me (in my armchair detective style) work out who, what, why and when? Needless to say, I didn’t solve it – although I did work out a few things. Instead, I was pleased how it kept me guessing until the end. Throughout, the chapters go from either the year 2019 or 2001 and this works well to help the plot to progress/keeps the tale running to a fast pace.

The clues/hints are drip fed throughout with some conclusions/reveals delivered early (and rightly so to help the story develop) then other revelations coming later so that they can be unravelled and explained as other secrets emerge too. There are some shocks being held back right until the end, and it's an ending that really delivers!

Reading this has made me want to add Italy to the list of places that I would like to visit. The setting – which from the ‘A letter from Alex’ readers will see that Chaudhuri has based upon her visits there – is stunning, and the weather is used effectively to accompany the action, providing contrast or backdrop so appropriately. Sometimes if a book is too detailed, I find myself skim reading to get to the action, but I found with this that I was savouring every word of the setting information as there was just the right amount. It painted the images in my mind as I was reading, and was well balanced between setting, action, dialogue and necessary information to help my understanding.

Also in her letter, Chaudhuri sets out the intentions that she wrote the book with, and she has certainly covered and met all of them! I won’t provide them here as they will create spoilers. I do, however, recommend reading this letter and seeing from yourself the themes that she mentions and explains after you have completed the book.

If you are off on holiday, wondering where summer has gone (here in England?!) or just want some escapism in general, you couldn’t pick a better book: stunning setting, well written throughout and twists and turns that will keep you gripped until the very end. This is the perfect juxtaposition of the beauty of a location and the beast that can live inside us.

 

You can buy the book at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Party-fast-paced-suspenseful-thriller/dp/1804363642

 

Thank you to Alex for providing me with this bio, and thanks for such an incredible read. x


‘A.A. Chaudhuri is a former City lawyer. Born and raised on the south coast, she now lives in Surrey with her family.

The Scribe and The Abduction were published by Lume Books in July and December 2019. Both books have hit the bestsellers lists in the UK, Australia and Canada, with bestseller tags in Australia and Canada. They were also published as audio books by Isis Audio in January and March 2021. 

In February 2021, Alex signed a two-book contract for two standalone psychological thrillers with HERA BOOKS, the first entitled SHE’S MINE was published on 18thAugust 2021 in ebook and 26th August in paperback. THE LOYAL FRIEND was published by Hera Books on 23rdJune 2022 in paperback and ebook and on 26th June in audio with Saga Egmont. In June 2022 Alex signed with Hera Books for three more psychological thrillers.

The first of these – THE FINAL PARTY – was published in ebook and paperback on 25th May 2023, and has already achieved bestseller tags in the UK, Australia and Canada, as well as being featured in Woman’s Own and Bella magazines.

She’s Mine was made the LJ Ross Book Club April book of the month in 2022 and was listed in various bloggers’ top reads of 2021, as well as achieving numerous bestseller tags in the UK, Australia and Canada in June 2023. It has reached No. 2 on Top Paid Crime and Thrillers behind CL Taylor and two spots ahead of Richard Osman on the Apple Books charts. It has also reached No. 4 on Top Books (paid) on Apple Books, ahead of Colleen Hoover.

The Loyal Friend was also listed in various bloggers’ top reads for 2022, achieved bestseller tags in the UK, Australia and Canada and will soon be available to buy in US stores, publishing with Canelo US on 20th June 2023.

Alex has been on panels at Capital Crime 2022 and Newcastle Noir 2022, and The Dark Side of Brighton in February 2023.

She was a participating author at Crimefest 2023 and Harrogate 2023, and will be appearing at Capital Crime 2023.

Besides being an avid reader, she enjoys fitness, films, anything Italian and a good margarita!’

 

A.A. Chaudhuri

Amazon Bestselling Thriller Author


Find Alex at:

Website: A.A. CHAUDHURI – Amazon Bestselling Thriller Writer (aachaudhuri.com)

Twitter: A.A. Chaudhuri (@AAChaudhuri) / Twitter

Facebook: A.A. Chaudhuri | Facebook

Instagram: A.A. Chaudhuri (Author) (@a.a.chaudhuri) • Instagram photos and videos

Instagram: A.A. Chaudhuri (@aachaudhuri) • Instagram photos and videos

TikTok: A.A. Chaudhuri (@alexchaudhuri0923) | TikTok

LinkedIn: A.A. Chaudhuri | LinkedIn



No comments:

Post a Comment