Sunday 12 November 2023

A Sunday Snippet from Orange by Lily Lawson

 



Poetry is Alive

I am a poet

It’s what I do.

I convey

my words to you

in dancing fire,

in beating drum.

I’ve finished

before you’ve begun.


The novelist

of whom you’ve likely heard

may find

my brevity absurd.

There is space

for a weighty tome,

when you find yourself

at home.


Poetry dances

in the air,

it has the skill

of Fred Astaire.

It finds its way

through tiny nooks,

to people with no time

for books.


It lives and breathes

and can be found

even on the

underground,

graffitied

with a can of paint

or in collections

oh, how quaint.


It is recited oft

by heart

in entirety 

or part.

I must insist

we put to bed

the thought of

poetry being dead.


When I asked Lily to tell me a bit more about this poem, she said:

 

"I was inspired by the poetry is not dead hashtags on Instagram."


You can read the other poems in Orange at:

Rainbows Orange Book of Poetry (Rainbow series 2) eBook : Lawson, Lily: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store


On Thursday, I will be providing my review of these wonderful poems...


Lily's bio: 

Lily Lawson is a poet, children’s and short story writer living in the UK. In addition to her books, she has published poetry, short stories, and creative non-fiction in anthologies and online.

Find out about Lily and read more of her work on her website: lilyswritinglife.com. where you can also subscribe to her newsletter, Life with Lily


Follow Lily on  Twitter, InstagramAmazonBookbubGoodreads and allauthor.

No comments:

Post a Comment