Tuesday 6 February 2024

STILL trying to get lunch!

 And, still no room at the inn!


The other week I mentioned that my friend and I hadn't managed to get lunch at a posh restaurant when away on a girls trip before Christmas. This week, here is what happened next!

Firstly, we tried a pub that we remembered seeing when we had visited the area earlier in the year. No room. Then we tried another pub...no room there either.

So, we decided to try and find the branch of a well-known pub chain. Putting the name into X's phone map, the directions started up and within a few steps I knew that it was sending us in the wrong direction as it had us heading towards the pub in the direction of the museums...but the museums were BEHIND the way we were walking!

We turned around, the map re-calibrated and a while later we were in said pub. It was HEAVING! Thankfully, we found a table. So far so good... Then X (who is celiac) tried to find something she could have. They were running a reduced menu! She ordered for me (which I wouldn't have minded if she didn't) at the bar whilst I was unaware up at the table.

Now, this would be a VERY long story if I tell it all, so I will skip through. At least twenty minutes had passed and there wasn't any sign of my food. Nothing tricky, chicken strips and chips. I told X to save time that I didn't mind if she found the well-known fast food chain in the area whilst I waited here and that she should just bring her food back in seen as they couldn't serve her here.

She loaded the map (we knew the fast food place wasn't far) and set off. She was gone longer than expected as, again, her map played up!

I stilllll hadn't got my food and was thinking how much time we were loosing to get in the museums. I asked a waitress who said it should be about another ten-fifteen and that we should have been told it was a fort-five minute wait on food. We hadn't been...

Looking at the time, I realised that it was another ten to fifteen minutes that it would take my wait time to over forty five minutes as I knew what time we had ordered as I had sent a text on my phone. I cancelled the order and was told (as X had paid) she would need to show her card on returning.

When she got back with her food, I told her what had happened. She went to the bar for the refund and was told she'd already been issued it...when she hadn't!

At this point, we left. I got food from a bakery and we didn't make the museums either as only one was open (and we'd already been round there) and the other two weren't. Thankfully, the museum people were better than the pub as (the museums were linked) and allowed us a refund as we'd purchased a annual and  cheaper ticket for all three museums earlier in the year.

Thankfully, we had more success after that! We enjoyed the shops and I was served food (I needed a proper meal) back at the hotel and X got some snacks for herself too! What a muddle it all was!

Next week, some funny stories from Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment