Wednesday 3 July 2024

Book review - The Flight by Heather J. Fitt

 A speedy and scrumptious read!


I downloaded this book as part of a 99p Kindle offer a couple of months ago drawn in by (yes, you guessed it if you've read my other reviews) everything about the cover! At the time, I'd also downloaded some others that were on offer. Not every book I read makes it to my blog, may I add!

Anyway, last month I went to book event (a launch, see blog for details) and I didn't realise that the author of this book - Heather J. Fitt- was there until after. We have since connected on Twitter/X -  whatever you refer to it as! Afterwards, I bumped The Flight up my reading queue with Heather having made a really good impression on me.


Here is my review - it does NOT contain spoilers...


I don't think I have ever described a book as scrumptious before...so let me justify why I have now. I started reading this on Sunday night (it's now Wednesday) and my Kindle flashed up a low battery warning of 10%. Disappointed, I charged my Kindle. 

ASIDE - I use the Kindle app, on my tablet, for other purposes so didn't opt to pick up reading from there.

I resumed my reading on Sunday night, picking up from Chapter 2 and read ALL THE WAY to Chapter 20 because I was hooked, needing more - finding it like good food - scrumptious, making me want more!

Having read for half an hour longer than I should've done, I had to put it down. Then, yesterday I found myself longing to get back to it! When I settled down in the evening to read, I read from Chapter 20 to 'The End.' 

Yes, it's a short read - with Kindle predicting a short reading time...but it wouldn't be short overall if you only read a couple of chapters a day etc. This WASN'T an option for me! I simply HAD to finish it...and here's why: IT'S GREAT! 
FIVE STARS from me! 


Here's why...

Firstly, I took to the main character (Melissa) quickly and could understand her actions/reasoning throughout. I also thought her young son was adorable and the inclusion of him really added something for me - I thought the parts of dialogue from him were very realistic and that the author had written this character very well.

Then, there were some unlikeable characters and I think that this can be a good thing in a book as I found myself invested in the safety (and innocence) of the likeable ones and, in contrast, caring less about the others.

The setting - on a plane - is always going to get a big tick from me as, not only do I love a locked room style mystery, but I also love planes! The description of everything from the airport, and the processes, to the flight were flawless and I could really picture myself there. If you love planes and a sealed crime scene, this book is for you too! Fitt's attention to detail is to be commended and I am already looking forward to reading The Boat Trip by her as I am sure her descriptions/setting will shine through there too.

Next, I want to praise the chapter headings. It was right to included multiple perspectives that, whilst being third person narration, also contain omniscient elements. It was also VERY right to include a mystery voice - something that I have always loved and included in my final piece when I completed my MA. The mystery voice here is witty and a great addition. I did NOT guess who this person is, and I am glad that I didn't.

However, I did guess something else but only about a page or so before it was revealed...so, overall Fitt had me fooled! And fool me quite a bit, she did! There are so many twists (another big tick from me) and a red herring that I totally fell for. Plus, a final twist that saw me finish the book with a smile on my face. A genius ending, in fact! So again, if you love trying to work out what's happening but also love a twist, proving you wrong - this is the book for you!

I have already, verbally, recommended it to people. Here I am now, genuinely, recommending it to you!





No comments:

Post a Comment