Thursday 1 August 2024

Book review (ARC) - The Coldest Case by Tessa Wegert

 Brrr...

My review does not contain spoilers...

Despite this being the sixth book in the Shona Merchant (and my first book by Tessa Wegert), when I read the synopsis, I just had to give it a go! I picked up the character of Shona – here she’s pregnant - just fine and want to read more in the earlier series now too.

Five things appealed to me initially about this novel:

1.      I love a book where it’s a ‘locked room’ approach and a remote island has the cut off/locked feel I enjoy.

2.      There’s something fascinating about remote islands (I have read a few murder mysteries set on them previously and watched documentaries about families who live in such places in Scotland etc).

3.      It said it was ‘perfect for fans of Agatha Christie’ – that’s me.

4.      I knew that I would appreciate cooling off by reading it!

5.      The cover! I am regularly drawn in by an appealing cover.

Overall, I found Wigert’s writing style strong and thoroughly enjoyed how she ended chapters as it left me wanting more…and often reading another chapter (or more) when I had intended to stop.

There’s a good balance between dialogue, action and description. The latter was very well used, and I could really picture everything happening. Dialogue seemed appropriate with distinct characters and the action was exciting!

Shana is a great detective, and I will be interested in seeing how her character evolves beyond this story in the series. My detective skills, however, were lacking and I did not solve the case. Did I mind? No…it added to my enjoyment as the reveals were worth the suspense (and not guessing correctly).

With thanks to NetGalley and Severn House for the chance to read eARC.





No comments:

Post a Comment