Tuesday 19 September 2023

A even bigger mystery...

 Lost, confused or something else?


If you've read last week's blog post, you will know that my friend X and I were out for a walk a few week's back on a warm summer's afternoon. On the way to the first bit of trouble that we found (see last week's post if you haven't) we sort of already stumbled across what would turn out to be even BIGGER trouble!

As we were walking round, we spotted an elderly gentleman walking towards us. He was wearing a fleece with long sleeves and it was zipped up. 

He stopped as we were near to him and remarked, "I haven't seen anyone else in the time that I have been walking around here!" I replied to this that the field was often underused which was such a shame and he nodded. 

X and I both said, "Enjoy your walk!" Then we went on our way.

Immediately, X said to me that he looked hot. I agreed and said that if I was hot, that it must be - I am always cold btw! I added that I didn't think he was the 'full ticket' and she agreed, then asked me if I thought he was lost. 

We started discussing how we could ask him if we came across him again and I suggested something along the lines of, "How lucky we are to have this on our doorstop. We're just over there (pointing), where are you from?" and X said that was a good idea as it didn't say specifically where we lived (we are near each other) but it would help us know if he knew where he was or not.

Then we went on our way to the new build and the first bit of trouble...

Returning from that trouble (photos stored and ready to notify the local crime contact that I have) we spotted the man.

X exclaimed, "Oh no, he's still walking around. We'll have to use your plan."

As we got nearer to him, I attempted what I had suggested, but he just walked past this time and wouldn't stop to talk!

We then watched as he continued to do further laps of the different parts of the field! We were both concerned that he looked even hotter and was still walking...as well as how he had blanked us!

I text my Mum to ask advice as although X and I are both approaching middle age (yes, we don't act like it - I know!) and are old enough to know how to deal with situations, I was more concerned that if there was an illness there such as Alzheimer's or Dementia - or even a mental health issue, should we?

The reply was 'Ask if he is Ok as there are two of you.' It's the advice I knew she would give and what I had thought myself.

By this point, he kept stopping and looking over at us watching him. Undeterred, we walked round so that we could cross paths with him and when we did, I said: "I don't mean to be rude, but are you lost?"

This is how the conversation went - me: blue, him: orange, X: red.

"Well, oooh, mmm, ahhh."

"Which direction are you from? For example, home for us is over there?"

"Oooh, mmmm..."

"Do you know the name of the road?"

"I came from up above."

I looked at X who shrugged at me.

"Down some steps?"

"Oooh, mmmm..."

"What's it called?"

"Oooh, mmmm..."

"Near some shops or not?"

"Oooh, mmmm..."

At this point I decided to leave X trying to jog his memory, stood aside and called my Mum who had text to say that she'd join us if we needed. My call was to say 'Yes please' to her and to tell her how hot he was!

I then re-joined X and we tried to get him to head to one of the many gates to see if he recognised anything, but he wouldn't come with us.

He noticed my phone in my hand and asked the time (just after 5pm).


"Oooh, really?" he asked.


"Is it later than you thought?" I asked.

He didn't reply, so X added, "Have you been walking for longer than you realised?"

"I just really enjoy it," he said and walked off saying, "I'm going this way, and you can carry on that way."

He pointed to the way we had wanted him to go with us! Argh!

Having told my Mum that we'd be waiting near a gate, we decided to split up with X following him (and there were two dog walkers on the field now in that direction too) and me heading off to meet Mum to say he won't go the way we'd wanted.

Mum arrived and from here, the tale takes another turn...

But, you will have to wait for next week's blog post to read on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment