Thursday 7 March 2024

Changing it up, here is a TV review - Based on a True Story

Where's the ending?


*Contains spoilers*

When you watch EIGHT episodes of something, you expect that there will be an ending. Granted, it may not be the one you'd pick yourself...but an ending anyway. 

Well, the other week when I finished watching Based On A True Story there WASN'T AN ENDING! More of a cut mid scene as the husband of the woman whose blood the main characters are mopping up appears in the doorway, asking whose blood it is!


My first thought was that I hadn't downloaded all episodes from the SKY channel that it aired on. Further investigation showed no more available...so I took to Google and found this:

Based on a True Story ends frustratingly, feeling unfinished. After getting rid of Ruby’s body, Ava and Nathan spend the evening mopping up her blood from their new beach house floor. They are caught in the act by Ruby’s unstable husband Simon (Aaron Staton) who is naturally curious about whose blood they’re cleaning, but the scene cuts before they answer.


By C.Persaud (8th June, 2023)

Thankfully, having watched this long after it first aired. I was able to discover that the series HAS been renewed. However, if a second season hadn't been commissioned, how rubbish would that have been?

This got me thinking about how things draw to a close...books, TV shows etc. I have often moaned that I don't like how authors take the safe way out and have a fairy tale style ending where everything is OK, or how in TV or film, the ending often feels rushed when you have invested the time you have in it.

I don't mind a cliff hanger, but I don't want to feel cheated. Thoughts...?

No comments:

Post a Comment